For the LOVE of children.

"But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven."-Matthew 19:14


Please feel free to share PRIMARY PHUNNYS of the children in your lives by emailing me at primaryphunnys@mail.com and I will include it in the blog.







Monday, December 19, 2011

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus

A CONVERSATION IN OUR HOME----

CL-"Mommy, do you believe in Santa Claus?"

Before I continue, I must inform the reader about the teaching of Santa Claus in our home. After we got married, my husband and I were talking about Christmas traditions. My family never taught us about Santa Claus. As a child, I wished we believed in him even though I knew the truth about him. Although I wanted to have that as a child, I was concerned if this tradition would cause my children to have second thoughts about God. My husband's family did this tradition and he said they never had a problem with it or believing in God. Nevertheless, here we are years later teaching our children to believe in Santa. I still have my worries, but my husband was adamant on keeping his family tradition. I caved and decided it would be fun.

Me-"I believe Santa Claus is the spirit of Christmas." After I said this, I thought, "Well, Christ is the spirit of Christmas. What am I saying? How do I honestly answer this question? I don't know."

CL-"VJ doesn't believe in Santa Claus."

Me-"What?!" I was horrified. He is only five.


Later, I asked him, "VJ is it true you do not believe in Santa Claus?"

He paused, made a funny face and replied, "Well, I don't know. I guess if I am suppose to believe in him. I will."

I did not know what to say or do next. I can't remember what I said or if I even said anything. I think I was in shock. He is just five. Isn't this too early to figure it out?

EVENTS PROCEEDING THE CONVERSATION----

On Saturday, our ward had a Christmas Program and party. Santa came to visit. LC and SJ went to see him. VJ had his reservations. He was more concerned with eating cake. He decided to go after he saw his sister's bag of candy.

After most of the people were gone, we had to hang around to make sure the church got locked up. VJ saw a bag with a fake beard in it. "Look, Mommy! Do you see that?" He was smiling, actually, he was grinning the smile of someone thinking, "See I told you so."

That night we did our Christmas scripture, story and song tradition. The story we happen to read was the letter from a little girl named Virginia. After he read the story, my husband said, "That was a terrible example to use. Fairies. He could have thought of something better, don't you think?"

Ugh! What am I going to do with the men of this family?!

No comments:

Post a Comment